Topic: Hello from Scatha

Hi there. About ten years ago I developed the basic Shadowlandian Black Speech dialect, and I just discovered that it's still available online, with all my dictionaries and lessons, at the new Mordor Land of Shadows web page. I had lost all my work and notes about a year after I completed it and lost heart.  I hadn't backed anything up.

Now that I see the black speech is still interesting to people, I think I'd like to get started again and actually finish the third set of lessons. Do you think people would find that useful?

Re: Hello from Scatha

Hello, Scatha!
I'd never hoped to meet you and let myself to continue your work. I'd like to hear your opinion and critics!

Actually, there was little feedback after starting this site, mostly on popular Russian image board. It seems you're 4th real user of this forum sad

I would enjoy talking about the Black Speech lessons and dictionary again. I need to review all of the material because I think I may have made some mistakes. Right now, Ring Lord, who created the Mordor Land of Shadow web page has posted most of the Black Speech material.  Here's a link: http://www.thelandofshadow.com/

I was thinking that if we can revive some interest in the black speech project, we could link to your forum and perhaps get a discussion going?

All content here is taken from this site but with my remarks and corrections (usually highlighted with different font).
It could sound strange, but I never registered on big Tolkien-fan forums. Maybe we shall advertise the site there or on some related facebook's communities, if they exists. The link on The Land Of Shadow would help too, since it's ranked high by Google (actually there was a link in news section, hard to find)

Hi, Scatha! It would be wonderful if you would continue your Black Speech course, and even come up with some new words for the dictionary!

I just found this forum after a long and lengthy search for the old Land of Shadows Black Speech forum. The newer forum seems to be down right now, but the older one that was on EzBoards (now Yuku) is still online.

My friend, Angmar, and I run a site that has a Black Speech section. It features the Red Hand Orcs word list, which is a meta-dictionary of several dialects, including Shadowlandian, as well as an English translation of a Svartiska wordlist.

http://circlesofpower.byethost22.com/blackspeech

I'll keep checking back here for updates!

Hi there. I apologize for the delay. The problem is that my old yahoo email is so full of spam that I can never find the real messages, and it has taken me months and months to clean it out. I've come up with a new gmail account that I think will work better. though I'l keep trying to check both.

The new email account is scatha.mordor@gmail.com.  Gmail has a better spam filter so I hope this will enable me to stay in touch better.

One other issue is that I lost all my work when my computer crashed and I didn't realize the black speech course had been saved on Ring Lord's new site. So now I have to go back and reconstruct it all and ... relearn my own lessons!  Work is a little crazy right now, but in about two weeks I'll have some vacation coming & I plan to get into the black speech project very seriously then.

I hope folks will stay in touch with me. I really enjoyed working on this project and would love to keep it active.

Elfhild wrote:

Hi, Scatha! It would be wonderful if you would continue your Black Speech course, and even come up with some new words for the dictionary!

I just found this forum after a long and lengthy search for the old Land of Shadows Black Speech forum. The newer forum seems to be down right now, but the older one that was on EzBoards (now Yuku) is still online.

My friend, Angmar, and I run a site that has a Black Speech section. It features the Red Hand Orcs word list, which is a meta-dictionary of several dialects, including Shadowlandian, as well as an English translation of a Svartiska wordlist.

http://circlesofpower.byethost22.com/blackspeech

I'll keep checking back here for updates!

Un4givenOrc wrote:

All content here is taken from this site but with my remarks and corrections (usually highlighted with different font).
It could sound strange, but I never registered on big Tolkien-fan forums. Maybe we shall advertise the site there or on some related facebook's communities, if they exists. The link on The Land Of Shadow would help too, since it's ranked high by Google (actually there was a link in news section, hard to find)

Приветствую. Около года собирался взяться за ЧН, шерстил сайт Скаты и как то совсем пропустил твой, а когда обнаружил, был несказанно рад, словари, что ты тут выложил и переводы уроков Скаты весьма полезны. С самой задумки изучения ЧН я подумывал перевести словари с английского на русский, но, так как это, как оказалось, уже было сделано, я хочу приступить к следующей - составить русско-орочий словарь, т.е. упорядочить всю лексику по порядку русского алфавита. Посему интересно узнать твое мнение. Использовать я собираюсь все диалекты кроме SV и MERP'а, т.к. на мой взгляд слова оттуда слишком уж далеки от "канона", пусть и приблизительного

Привет и спасибо за отзыв!
Русско-орочий словарь уже есть на сайте, но он не обновлялся с 2011-го года (и не планируется в будущем). Можно его проредить от слов из Svartiska и MERP, но они там никак не помечены (единственное - слова из LOS выделены жирным), нужно сверяться с основным словарём. Также проблемой может быть синхронизация новых слов (планировал обновление словаря в этом месяце - пока откладывается), даты добавления я не ставлю. Системы контроля версий не подключал, да и сайты вроде гитхаба вроде не очень приветствуют файлы, не являющиеся программным кодом. Идеи по решению этого вопроса также приветствуются.

Un4givenOrc wrote:

Русско-орочий словарь уже есть на сайте, но он не обновлялся с 2011-го года (и не планируется в будущем). Можно его проредить от слов из Svartiska и MERP, но они там никак не помечены (единственное - слова из LOS выделены жирным), нужно сверяться с основным словарём. Также проблемой может быть синхронизация новых слов (планировал обновление словаря в этом месяце - пока откладывается), даты добавления я не ставлю. Системы контроля версий не подключал, да и сайты вроде гитхаба вроде не очень приветствуют файлы, не являющиеся программным кодом. Идеи по решению этого вопроса также приветствуются.

Думаю потому и не будет лишним попытаться составить все с нуля, основываясь на основном словаре. Труд, конечно, долгий и кропотливый, а времени у меня, студента, пока что не так уж и много, но думаю когда-нибудь я с этой задумкой совладаю. Ну а когда и если это произойдет, непременно дам тебе знать, если меня кто-нибудь не опередит)

ProgrezorUruk wrote:
Un4givenOrc wrote:

Думаю потому и не будет лишним попытаться составить все с нуля, основываясь на основном словаре. Труд, конечно, долгий и кропотливый, а времени у меня, студента, пока что не так уж и много, но думаю когда-нибудь я с этой задумкой совладаю. Ну а когда и если это произойдет, непременно дам тебе знать, если меня кто-нибудь не опередит)

Большая часть сайта была готова в мою бытность студентом (за несколько лет до открытия), по-моему золотое время для всяческих проектов, потом времени и энергии будет еще меньше.
Но сильно спешить не советую, так как я всё же замахнулся на создание нового диалекта вопреки нежеланию умножать раздробленность и путаницу. Словарь по большей части останется из LOS, но грамматику существенно поменяю.
Успехов!