Topic: New words

How does one introduce new words? I have coined these word's (for Svartiska but could be used in other dialects): okh "knee" (from  Quenya "occa"); kahosh "liver" (derivative prefix ka- + "hosh" guts"), gât- "to lie (down)" (from Quenya caita-) [I know that the last one is kât- in LoS also from Q. caita-].

Re: New words

I will move this topic to "Black Speech talks" section 'cause it already has some words offerings.

"okh" also similar to MERP's "okat" (to crawl), that's nice!
"gât-" already meaning "punish" in Svartiska, confusing a little

Hi again. I missed that gat- is "punish" in Svartiska. I suppose kat- is better then. gat- both were coined for my Zhabûri where the initial unvoiced plosives of Elvish words becomes voiced in line with Q/PE tur- > BS dur(b)-.

I also coined the word for Svariska kaskût "mercy" from prefix ka- + skût "shield". And the verb dik- "part", "depart" from Primitiv Elvish nek  (part, deprive, separate, divide).

I suppose you could use the nouns krâsh (LoS) or sâhd (Horn) "part" and add a verb suffix to them instead of "dik-".

By the way, what do you think about such prefixes like:
de- (meaning "separating", "dividing", "splitting", like yours depart, decompose, demolish etc.);
en- (meaning "in", as in encounter, entrance);
re- (mean. "back", "again" etc., like re-invent, resemble, retire etc.);

should there be prefixes in Black Speech too, or should they be translated as postpositions?

First we should distinguish between between grammatical and derivative affixes. The prefixes you present here are derivative. Svartiska has a few derivative affixes. But are you really asking whether there only ought to be derivative suffixes or prefixes too?

In zhâburi A (my first version of the language) I used both pre- and suffixes but for Zhâburi B my idea was to only use suffixes. But then I made the analysis of the words uruk, olog and oghor as being constructed by a mono syllabic stem with a prefixed duplication of the stem vowel, so: ruk > uruk; log > olog >; ghor > oghor.

Read more here: https://zhaaburi.wordpress.com/2017/11/ … log-oghor/

These are listed by Adragoor for Svartiska

-at    Creates verbs from nouns, e.g. ghâsh “fire” > ghâshat “to burn”, “to fire”
-urz    Creates adjectives from nouns, e.g. ghâsh “fire” > ghâshurz “hot”
-um    Creates nouns of adjectives, e.g. burz “dark” > burzum “darkness”
-atâr    Creates agents or job titles, e.g. ush “combat” > ushatâr “warrior”

Then there is the prefix ga- which I learned from the one who introduces me to Svartiska. And then there are a some that I analysed that seems to actually function as derivative prefixes but are not listed as such:

mi-    creates nouns or alternative nouns gûl "wraith" > migûl "mist"
ka-    Creates alternative nouns dar “house” > kadar “tent”

Yes, I'm speaking about derivational affixes which modifies only word's meaning. I'm for using only suffixes for inflection.

I have never noticed prefix ga- before. There are very few words starting with ga- in Svartiska dictionary, so I'm wondering what does it mean?

yes they are very few if ant in the dictionary. But Svartiska is not a well recorded language and there is alot subgroup rules. Adragoor's grammar is an attempt to bring several different grammars together. I have added some additional ones that I know off in my own summary. Especially regarding the verb.

The ga- prefix just gives a verb a different meaning like the ka- prefix for nouns. They are probably related. And one can wonder if there is a clear line between nouns and verbs here. Throk "food", > throk- "to eat"; gathrokat "to cook/make food"; gathrokatâr "chef". Maybe gathrok could mean "prepared food" but I haven't heard it be used .

The creation of the Svartiska is not very systematic and new words are coined by different persons in different ways and most often by just taking a word or sound and give it a meaning. Sometimes by combining two or more words. A very orcish way I would say. So Svartiska is a very orcish language but not like Saurons lingua franca of darkness that I imagine that the Black Speech ought to be.