Topic: kul-izg lugrekh! kul-izg tul urzkû!

I is lugrekh and I has returned!

I is making new Orcs of the Red Hand site at redhandorcs.org

I try to make dictionary that can understand simple Orcish sentences (try https://redhandorcs.org/search?w=kul-iz … +tul+urzkû), but it mean I need to relearn our language. I been sleeping long time and have forgot much. I still have much to do.

I thank Un4givenOrc for dictionary of words, which I use on new site. He do great work! mokh-tab bhog sharz!

I want to make tools to make learning and practicing orcish easier. If you have ideas, you tell me and I make what I can!

Re: kul-izg lugrekh! kul-izg tul urzkû!

Glad to see you!
This site wouldn't be possible without your Red Hand wordlist.

As for some useful ideas, German Shapog'gur site made Scatha's exercises interactive (like there).

Online dictionary here also tries to translate every word in sentence. I planned to make more intelligent translator, but this work is on hold.

I'm currently working on new dialect of Neo Black Speech. I also have dictionary in XML format (which is used by online dictionary instead of MS Excel). Can provide links in PM if you're interested.

Tell me more about this Neo Black Speech. I'm very interested in the progression of the language and efforts to improve it.

Splitting long conjoined word in your translator is impressive.
Unfortunately there are many merged words like "Nazgûl" or "urukûf"

Un4givenOrc wrote:

Splitting long conjoined word in your translator is impressive.
Unfortunately there are many merged words like "Nazgûl" or "urukûf"

Nazgûl it understands, but urukûf it doesn't. What is that supposed to mean? Is it supposed to be "scary orc"? If so, that should be just urukuf. There doesn't appear to be a word of "ûf" in the database.

lugrekh wrote:

Nazgûl it understands, but urukûf it doesn't. What is that supposed to mean? Is it supposed to be "scary orc"? If so, that should be just urukuf. There doesn't appear to be a word of "ûf" in the database.

It doesn't show Nazgûl as "nazg" + "gûl" separately
"urukûf" = "uruk" + "ku" + "uf" = scary old orc

Un4givenOrc wrote:
lugrekh wrote:

It doesn't show Nazgûl as "nazg" + "gûl" separately
"urukûf" = "uruk" + "ku" + "uf" = scary old orc

It doesn't handle compound nouns yet, so nazg" + "gûl isn't understood (although if you did nazg gûl as two separate words it knows what they are)

It will handle urukufkû old scary ork (uruk + uf + kû) and urukkûuf scary old ork (uruk+ kû + uf) fine. I don't think that CBS would shrink those to just urukûf, so my parser won't ever be able to understand urukûf. At some point I might work on making something that can understand DBS, but there's so much variety that it may be beyond something a computer can handle.

By the way, I'm curious how your translation script handle these compound words. Is it some splitting by syllables with checking each combination or just very long RegEx with all possible suffixes and clitic adjectives?

It cycles through arrays that contain all the possible suffixes in the order given in the grammar guide. It starts with the last type and moves through to the first type. Anytime it gets a hit it cuts off the matching suffix, records it, and then continues on. When it's done it then checks to see if whatever is left is a valid root word. If it's not a valid word it assumes the whole thing isn't valid and errors out. There's definitely some improvements I can make to it. Once I'm done coding the forum/profile/activity part of the website I'm going to go back in and redo a bunch of it.

I thought about the regex path, but it would be crazy complicated and my regex skills aren't that good.